We’ve all heard countless times that the future is sustainability. At first it might seem overwhelming to start living “green”, and it’s probably easier to keep living how we’re already living. Contrary to popular belief, making your home more eco-friendly doesn’t necessarily mean banning plastic and shutting off all of your electricity! In fact, some small changes can greatly impact your home and our shared environment in the long-run.
If you’re looking for inspiration, we’ve put together a list depending on what stage you’re at right now.
Quick Solutions for Energy Usage
The quickest place in your home to start is by cutting out any unnecessary energy usage.
- Turn off lights when you leave each room.
- Switch to eco-friendly LED light bulbs.
- Turn off fans, air conditioners and heaters when you leave your home, and only use them when you need to.
- Dry clothes on the line outside instead of using the dryer.
- Only run a load of dishes or laundry when it’s completely full.
- Turn off power strips or unplug appliances when they are not in use.
- Water your yard only when needed.
- Stop flushing wet wipes.
- Switch bills from paper statements to electronic statements.
Around the House and Outside
Some of the items on this list will take more than an afternoon but will help the environment – and your bills – in the long-term.
- Forgo items that are only used once – swap plastic water bottles for a reusable bottle, paper napkins for cloth, and drink loose leaf tea instead of bags, refuse plastic bags.
- Research insulating walls. Alternatively, install double-glazed windows or thermal insulating curtains to achieve the same effect.
- Grow your own fruits and veggies.
- Start to recycle, and research composting.
- Walk, ride your bicycle or take public transportation instead of driving everywhere.
Building a New Home
Renovating or building from the ground up? In the building process, being mindful of a few green living tips can help set up your home for sustainable living – and reduce waste in the process.
- Orient your house towards the sun when building a new home to rely less on other sources.
- Choose local materials to avoid transport costs.
- Install water efficient appliances.
- Minimise packaging and where possible when building and/or demolishing.
- Recycle waste.